Thursday, March 13, 2014

Adjusting My Career to Vistion Loss.

A Career I Dreamed Of

The day I graduated from the University of Arizona in 1983 with a nursing degree was a personal triumph. I looked forward to a career I dreamed of since childhood. I was certain I had found my life’s passion in nursing. My future was full of promise and excitement. Then at age 25, a vision exam turned everything upside down. The diagnosis was retinitis pigmentosa and my future became uncertain.

Continued to Work After Diagnosis

A long journey followed as I struggled to adjust to vision loss and redefine life and career. In the early stages of visual changes, I continued working in a hospital. My husband and I started a family. I tried not to think about the possibility of more vision loss. At age 30, with three children and a part-time job at the local hospital, I lost my driver’s license. This was the first of many losses which would change my life forever. Grief, depression, isolation, frustration and disappointment set in. My life and career were not shaping up as I imagined.
For the next ten years, my vision deteriorated slowly. I struggled to keep up at home and at work. There were times when I doubted my abilities to be a good nurse and mother. My husband and I pulled together and found creative ways to get around obstacles. Always supportive, he affirmed and encouraged me to continue to pursue working as a nurse. I gave up working in the hospital setting when the pace, lighting, and technical duties limited my ability to function. It was difficult to let go and even more difficult to find the next job. There was much to consider: personal limitations, employers’ reactions and concerns, transportation problems, co-workers’ attitudes and more. Out of sheer determination, I landed jobs in a variety of settings from student health on a college campus to doctors’ offices.

Defending My Work and Advocating for My Career

Sometimes it required hiding my visual impairment, which was very stressful. On one job, I was confronted,told I was “too great of a liability,” and let go. Through such experiences, I learned to defend my work, advocate for my rights, present my limitations to employers and co-workers, and find resources that enabled me to perform the essential duties of my job. At times I wanted to give up, but was always driven by my passion for nursing and the belief that there was still a job out there for me. After all, nursing is more than the ability to perform technical tasks. It is more often about understanding patient needs, giving care and comfort, exercising skilled judgment, and educating patients and their families. With low vision, I could still do these things. The challenge was always in finding the right job, presenting myself as a capable and conscientious practitioner, and working out the transportation conundrum.

Employment as a School Nurse Becomes Challenging

In 1994 I was declared legally blind. Undaunted, I landed a job as a school nurse when we relocated to Georgia. This environment proved to be ideal and I enjoyed years of support and collaboration with my principal, the staff, students and parents. But it was not easy; it was never easy. The role was challenging, requiring lots of paperwork. I was having problems withmobility and reading printed words by then. So I sought rehabilitation services. I received a low vision evaluation, and training in assistive work technology and daily skills. This was again a redefining and redesigning of self. For now, my vision impairment was known to all.

The Importance of Training in Orientation and Mobility

Upon returning to school one year, I had three serious falls in the first two weeks of school. I was tripping on obstacles I did not see because they were in my blind spots. I sustained minor physical injuries such as bruises and a sprained wrist. However, falls had become a growing concern both to me and my employer. At that point I realized I needed to take the initiative to keep myself safe in the workplace. Anorientation and mobility instructor came to my school and trained me in using the white cane and fall prevention. Before I began to "publicly" use the white cane at school, I asked to speak to the staff about this change. I wanted to allay their concerns, assure them I could still do my job and ease the transition for myself. So, I spoke at a faculty meeting and explained the hows and whys of using a cane for personal safety.

Low Vision Aids Help with Job

Though I have never “looked blind”, all the new accoutrements and trappings proved it was so. I wore thick magnifying glasses which the students called my “goo-goo goggles”. A large video magnifier helped me read. I used hand held magnifiers and special lights to assess skin rashes and other boo-boos. ZoomTextenabled me to manage student files on the computer. I introduced the school to my first dog guide, Sophie, who quickly became a beloved school mascot. I adopted a straightforward way of explaining these tools and taught the school community what it means to be visually impaired.

Adopted Self-Advocacy to Keep Working

I developed a no-nonsense approach to problem-solving and self-advocacy to keep my job and do it well. I demonstrated that people with disabilities are capable of contributing in meaningful ways. I learned to be tenacious and resilient. And I was grateful for the opportunity to practice nursing.

Retired Now but Still Involved

After 11 years as a school nurse, I retired. I recently worked with a vision rehabilitation agency as an adjustment to blindness counselor and diabetic educator, another attempt to hone my professional skills. I started a local support group to assist the visually impaired community in finding resources, support and services. I enjoy teaching and speaking and writing on topics such as diabetes and vision loss, health and nutrition, adjustment to blindness, depression, stress management, self-advocacy and dog guides. I draw on professional training and life experiences as a visually impaired nurse. My career has not been what I originally imagined, but it has been rich and fulfilling. I am excited to see what comes next as I explore new opportunities. As a CareerConnect Mentor, I encourage you to use CareerConnect to find out about careers includinghealthcare.
Check out my blog at www.seeingpossibilities.com.

Questions About Your Career After Vision Loss?

Have you had to adjust your career after losing vision? Share your thoughts and comments.
This article can be found online at:

_______________________________________________
Nfbk mailing list
Nfbk@nfbnet.org
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfbk_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Nfbk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbk_nfbnet.org/njp%40twc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment