The Society for the Blind in Sacramento, California has two openings
for the position of Adaptive Technology Instructor V. Contact:
Adaptive Technology Team Lead
Society for the Blind
1238 S St.
Sacramento, CA 95811
Job Title: Adaptive Technology Instructor V
Reports to: Adaptive Technology Team Lead
General Description: The essential functions of the job are to
teach all aspects of adapted computer and rehabilitation technology
use to Society clients, to maintain expertise in all instructed
programs and upgrades, and be a motivated team player to teach blind
students computer skills using adaptive equipment and techniques to
enhance computer competence and effectiveness, especially in
* Instruct small group or individual classes in adaptive
computing for blind and visually impaired clients.
* Assess and evaluate clients as to appropriate instructional
modality and needs.
* Consistently achieve high level of excellence in both
instruction and productivity.
* Coordinate closely with the Adaptive Technology Team Lead and
Core Programs Manager to arrange for maximum hours of client
service and instruction.
* Ensure that software and hardware are in good working
condition for teaching.
* Create manuals and tutorials which will assist clients to
progress in learning curriculum.
* Create, update, and revise curriculum as needed, with all
related materials for submission to the Adaptive Technology Team Lead.
* Develop new projects as assigned and as related to access
technology with emphasis on both excellent client service and
increased revenue production.
1. Maintain thorough, complete and timely ongoing weekly and
monthly recordkeeping of client services; including, but not limited
to case notes, lesson notes, evaluations, progress reports, and correspondence.
Team building and Networking
* Present client issues to supervisor and contribute to ongoing
problem solving of such issues while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
2. Consult with other professionals, family members or other
appropriate parties regarding the progress and problems of the clients.
3. Participate in individual case conferences and confer
regularly with program staff on multi-disciplinary service team
concerning client's program and adjustment to blindness or vision loss.
* Maintain positive and professional relations with counselors
of Department of Rehabilitation and other agencies as well as
Society clients, staff, and volunteers.
* Coordinate effective client service with third-party
counselors, such as Department of Rehabilitation.
1. Attend all staff and department meetings.
2. Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
3. Obtain training to enhance job requirements.
4. Stay current in areas of responsibility.
5. Other duties as required.
1. Highly skilled in current operating systems, especially current
Windows, with a particular emphasis on mastery of all alternative
keyboard commands to replace mouse use.
2. Expertise in at least one major screen review program such as
JAWS or Window-Eyes and familiarity with a second.
3. Expertise in Microsoft Office Programs including MS Word, MS
Excel, MS Outlook & MS Internet Explorer required.
4. Familiarity with ZoomText (all levels) desirable.
5. Effective communication skills.
6. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
7. High school diploma or G.E.D.
8. Minimum two years working experience.
blindtlk mailing list
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for blindtlk: